Reference code(s): GB 0218 D4181 & D4181/1
Title: British Railways Property Board Miscellaneous Records for Sirhowy Railway and Tramroad Company, 1853-1929 and Talywain Signal Box Registers, 1969-1974
Short title: British Railways Proprty Board miscellaneous records for Sirhowy Railway and Tramroad Company and Talywain signal box registers
Dates of creation: 1853-1974
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: (11 items)
Name of creator(s): Sirhowy Tramroad Company; Sirhowy Railway Company; British Railways (Western Region)
Administrative and biographical history: Sirhowy Tramroad was constructed between 1802 and c.1805 and connected Newport, Monmouthshire and Tredegar, Monmouthshire. The first passenger service began in 1822. The tramway was converted into a railway in 1863 and the Sirhowy Tramroad Company became the Sirhowy Railway Company. The railway opened to passengers in 1865. The London and North Western Railway bought the company in 1875.The Sirhowy branch line was closed in 1960. The Talywain signal box operated on the branch line between Trevethin Junction and Abersychan and Talywain, Monmouthshire, controlled by British Railways (Western Region) from 1948.
Scope and content: Records of the Sirhowy Railway/Tramroad Company, 1853-1929. The fonds also includes British Railways (Western Region) registers relating to the Talywain signal box, 1969-1974.
System of arrangement: Arranged into two groups; Group one consists of Sirhowy Railway and Tramroad records; Group two consists of British Railways (Western Region) Talywain signal box registers.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available in Gwent Record Office and the National Library of Wales.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Gwent Record Office have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Source not recorded
Related units of description: Further material is Gwent Record Office, D3934.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Gwent Record Office, Catalogue of British Railways Property Board miscellaneous records for Sirhowy Railway and Tramroad Company, 1853-1929 and Talywain signal box registers, 1969-1974; RAILSCOT homepage (http://www.railscot.co.uk/index.htm) viewed 15 June 2004; Tasker, W. W., The Merthyr, Tredegar & Abergavenny Railway and branches (Poole, 1986).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: June 2004