Tabernacle English Baptist Church, Penarth
Reference code(s): GB 0214 DBAP42
Title: Tabernacle English Baptist Church, Penarth
Short title: Tabernacle English Baptist Church, Penarth
Dates of creation: 1839-1984
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.2 cubic metres (79 volumes, 5 cards, 15 files, 30 papers, 3 envelopes, 5 booklets, 2 bundles, 42 photographs/postcards
Name of creator(s): Tabernacle English Baptist Church, Penarth
Administrative and biographical history: Baptist meetings were held in many places in Penarth (Glamorgan) before a building in Salop Street was registered as a Baptist meeting-house in 1864. The congregation later moved to Ludlow Street and in November 1868, the Tabernacle English Baptist Church was formally separated from its mother church, Bethany in Cardiff. The building of a chapel in Plassey Street, which seated 270 persons, was completed in 1870. By 1884, the chapel was not sufficient for the church's needs and a new daughter chapel was established in Standwell Road. In 1887, a schoolroom was constructed next to Tabernacle, and the buildings were modified in 1895. More recently, the chapel was refurbished in 1988/1989 and is still open for worship today.
Scope and content: Records of the Tabernacle English Baptist Church, Penarth, 1839-1984, including: minutes of church meetings, 1868-1971; minutes of deacons' meetings, 1897-1980; list of members, 1868-1957; registration certificates, 1874,1895; general account books, 1909-1984 (with gaps); cash books, 1880-1962; receipts, 1929-1950 (with gaps); church notice books, 1918-1923, 1966-1969; papers relating to the re-building of the chapel, 1886-1914; papers relating to the Sunday School, 1885-1959; Jubilee Souvenir, 1914; and postcards/photographs, 1914-1918.
ACCESS AND USE
Physical characteristics and technical requirements: Good to fair condition
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: minutes; papers relating to membership; registration certificates; finance; notice books; rebuilding of the chapel, 1895; papers relating to the Sunday School; photographs; and postcards.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply.
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the Tabernacle English Baptist Church, on various dates.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for the Tabernacle English Baptist Church, Penarth; Baptist Union of Great Britain and Ireland, Official Handbook of the Cardiff Assembly, 5th to 8th May, 1924, (Cardiff, 1924); Tabernacle English Baptist Church, Penarth, website (http://tabernacle-penarth.com/frames.htm), viewed 01/12/2003.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: December 2003