Tredegarville Baptist Church, Cardiff
Reference code(s): GB 0214 DBAP23
Title: Tredegarville Baptist Church, Cardiff
Short title: Tredegarville Baptist Church, Cardiff
Dates of creation: 1891-1948
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.003 cubic metres (14 booklets, 8 papers, 1 volume)
Name of creator(s): Tredegarville Baptist Church, Cardiff
Administrative and biographical history: Tredegarville English Baptist church, Cardiff, Glamorgan, was formed in 1861, and the first meeting took place in the same year under the Rev. Alfred Tilly (1861-1893), former minister of Bethany Baptist church, Cardiff (1857-1861). The school room was erected that same year and the chapel the year following at a cost of £3,600. Tredegarville was a 'mother church' with branches at Maindy chapel, North Road (opened 11 April 1884), Rumney (church opened 27 November 1889), Llanishen (church opened 10 February 1892), Merthyr Street Mission Room (opened 30 August 1891, and removed to Cathays Terrace, 9 Feb 1899), Pentyrch Street (opened 11 November 1905). The daughter churches all became independent at a later date.
Scope and content: Records of the Tredegarville Baptist Church, 1891-1948, including: list of communicants, 1888-1894; members' list, 1907 (arranged alphabetically); and church manual, 1891-1948 (with gaps).
ACCESS AND USE
Physical characteristics and technical requirements: Good to fair condition
System of arrangement: Arranged by date and type.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply.
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Information to be supplied.
Related units of description: Related units of description at the Glamorgan Record Office: DBAP8, Tredegarville English Baptist Church and Llanishen English Baptist Church.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for the Tredegarville English Baptist Church; Jenkins, J Austin and R Edwards James, The History of Nonconformity in Cardiff, (Cardiff, 1901); The Baptist Union of Great Britain and Ireland, Official Handbook of the Cardiff Assembly, 5th to 8th May, (Cardiff, 1924).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: November 2003