Croes-y-parc Baptist Church
Reference code(s): GB 0214 DBAP10
Title: Croes-y-parc Baptist Church
Short title: Croes-y-parc Baptist Church, records
Dates of creation: 1906-1977
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.004 cubic metres (2 vols)
Name of creator(s): Croes-y-parc Baptist Church
Administrative and biographical history: Croes-y-parc Baptist Church, Peterston-super-Ely, Glamorgan, was established in 1776 as a Particular/Strict Baptist church following visits by Rees Edwards, a member of Pen-y-garn Baptist church, Pontypool, Monmouthshire. The congregation met initially in the old castle, but after its admission to the Baptist Association in 1778, the ruined house of Croes-y-parc was leased, and a chapel constructed. The increase in membership necessitated rebuilding in 1843. Croes-y-parc was the mother church of Tabernacl Welsh Baptist Church 1813, in the Star and Garter, on the western side of Cardiff Castle, later (1821) in The Hayes, Cardiff, and also of other churches at Cadoxton, Twynyrodyn, and Pentyrch.
Scope and content: Records of the Croes-y-parc Baptist Church, 1906-1977, including minutes of church meetings, 1906-1935; accounts book of collection money, general receipts and expenditure etc., 1926-1961; and programme and hymn sheet for bicentenary celebrations, 1977.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/script: English, Welsh
System of arrangement: Minute books have been arranged chronologically.
Conditions governing access: Items containing information on named individuals may be closed in accordance with the Data Protection Act, but access may be given to such records in accordance with Record Office policy.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the Glamorgan Record Office.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the Croes-y-Parc Baptist Church, 1973 and later.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for Croes-y-parc Baptist Church; Riden, Philip, Records Sources for Local History (London, 1987); Stephens, W.B., Sources for English Local History, (Cambridge, 1981). Jenkins, J.A., and R. Edwards James, The History of Nonconformity in Cardiff, (Cardiff, 1901).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: November 2003