Pembrokeshire Record Office
Reference code(s): GB 0213 T/SHIP
Title: Shipping registers
Short title: Shipping registers for Cardigan and Pembrokeshire
Dates of creation: 1824-1992
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: Information to be supplied
Name of creator(s): Registrar of Shipping and Seamen
Administrative and biographical history: The Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen was established by the Merchant Shipping Act 1872, when the Registrar General of Seamen took over responsibility for returns relating to the registration of ships from the Board of Customs' Chief Registrar of Shipping. In Pembrokeshire, the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen recorded merchant ships registered at the port of Cardigan and at the port of Milford Haven. A total of 243 ships was built in Cardigan between 1796 and 1883. The local Receiver of Wreck recorded items of wreckage, including animal carcasses. An HM Customs and Excise station was active at Neyland, Pembrokeshire, from 1903 until it closed in 1958.
Scope and content: Shipping registers, Pembrokeshire, 1824-1992, including registers of ships of the Port of Cardigan, 1824-1984, register of transactions relating to the Port of Cardigan, 1855-1869, index of ships registration and appropriation book, [20th century], register of transactions, 1862-1944, registers of ships and fishing boats relating to the Port of Milford, 1869-1988, registers of transactions relating to the Port of Milford, 1855-1934, ships' registration papers, 1858-1992, records of the receiver of wreck, 1920-1986, and records of HM Customs and Excise, Neyland, 1903-1958.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Port of Cardigan; Port of Milford; Records of the Receiver of Wreck; and HM Customs and Excise, Neyland.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at Pembrokeshire Record Office.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Registers transferred by the Registrar of Shipping and Seamen, Custom House, Fishguard in September 1980 and donated by the Registrar of Shipping and Seamen, Maritime and Coastguard Agency, Cardiff, per Neil Staples, Records Officer, in November 2003.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Pembrokeshire Record Office, Shipping registers, catalogue, Davies, Donald: "Those were the days. A History of Cardigan, the Locality and its people, vol. I (Haverfordwest, 1991), Davies, Elwyn, Howells, Brian, Pembrokeshire County History, vol. IV (Haverfordwest, 1993), The National Archives website (www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk), viewed 31 May 2005.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: May 2005