Neath Antiquarian Society
Records of the Neath Abbey Coal Company
Reference code(s): GB 9999 NAS NACC
Title: Records of the Neath Abbey Coal Company
Short title: Neath Abbey Coal Company, records
Dates of creation: 1823-1874
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.027 cubic metres (1 archive box)
Name of creator(s): Neath Abbey Coal Company
Administrative and biographical history: This concern was set up by the proprietors of the Neath Abbey Iron Works, initially to supply the works with coal, and later developing into a fully-fledged business. The first contract to dig coal under the Dyffryn estate was made in 1806 by the Fox family, and in 1819 a Company was formed specifically to operate coal mines. The Company eventually closed down in 1873 and was first sold to Bidder and Co. (alias the Dyffryn Main Colliery Co.) Subsequently it was resold in 1874 to the United Company (Dynevor Dyffryn and Neath Abbey United Collieries Company).
Scope and content: Financial records, 1855-1873; correspondence, 1858-1874; deeds and leases, 1823-1870; auction posters, 1852
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into financial records, correspondence, deeds and leases, and auction posters.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service in County Hall, Swansea and the Neath Mechanics' Institute. A version of this catalogue is also available online.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Source not recorded.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Andrew Dulley for the ANW project.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: September 2005