West Glamorgan Archive Service
Baglan Higher Parish Council, Baglan Higher Community Council and Pelenna Community Council Records
Reference code(s): GB 0216 P 69
Title: Baglan Higher Parish Council, Baglan Higher Community Council and Pelenna Community Council Records
Short title: Baglan Higher Parish Council, Baglan Higher Community Council and Pelenna Community Council records
Dates of creation: 1784-1992
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: (Information to be supplied)
Name of creator(s): Baglan Higher Parish Council; Baglan Higher Community Council; Pelenna Community Council
Administrative and biographical history: During the late Middle Ages the parish became increasingly important as a unit of civil administration. From the 16th century unpaid parish officers were responsible for keeping the peace, repairing roads and assisting the poor, by means of a rate levied on the inhabitants of the parish. Civil parish councils were established by the Local Government Act 1894, taking over responsibilities from parish vestry meetings. The parish of Baglan was in the county of Glamorgan, until local government reorganisation in 1974, when it became part of West Glamorgan. Baglan parish had a higher and a lower division. Baglan Higher Parish Council was replaced by Baglan Higher Community Council in 1974. In 1983 Pelenna Community Council was created, absorbing Baglan Higher and Michaelston Higher Community Councils.
Scope and content: Records relating to Baglan Higher Parish Council, Baglan Higher Community Council and Pelenna Community Council, 1784-1992, including Baglan tithe plan and apportionment, 1846; account books, 1784-1864; minutes, 1913-1991; financial records, 1938-1992; deeds, 1932-1982; correspondence, 1970-1983; records relating to the Local Boundary Commission for Wales, 1979-1981; statutory instruments, 1976-1983; maps, 1982; records relating to rights of way, 1954-1971; invoices and receipts concerning the South Wales Electricity Board, 1956-1957; records relating to playing fields, 1958-1990; records relating to Pontrhydyfen Community Centre, 1961-1986; records relating to Neath Borough Council, 1961.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/script: English, Welsh
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Baglan parish; Baglan Higher Parish Council; Baglan Higher Community Council; Pelenna Community Council.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service. The catalogue is also available online on the West Glamorgan Archive Service website.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at West Glamorgan Archive Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: It is the policy of the West Glamorgan Archive Service to withhold the names of depositors.
Related units of description: Further papers relating to Baglan parish are in Glamorgan Record Office, D/D B1.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following source was used to compile this description: West Glamorgan Archive Service, Baglan Parish, catalogue.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: October 2005